While you may be familiar with California’s famous In-N-Out burger joint, you may not know about their “secret menu”.
One of their most popular items on this “secret menu” is Animal Style fries.
Okay, let’s rewind a bit.
Legend has it that the name ‘Animal’ came from the rowdy surfer and skater kids who would hang out at the original In-N-Out location in Baldwin Park, California in the 1960s. The employees referred to them as animals because of their raucous behaviour. After they started ordering mustard grilled burgers with grilled onion, spread and pickles, the sandwich took on their name: the animal-style burger.
To this day, you can still get an In-N-Out animal style burger, and subsequently, animal style fries.
Hear what happened when Jonesy & Amanda made it (and tried it):
- French fries
- Chopped brown onion
- Chopped pickles
- Pickle juice
- Sliced American cheese
Step 1 –
- Fry half a chopped brown onion in a pan with butter until onions are brown.
- In a bowl, squeeze some mayonnaise and ketchup.
- Add the chopped pickles and other half of chopped plain brown onion.
- Pour some pickle juice into the bowl and mix it all together thoroughly.
Step 2 –
- Spread the fries out in a tray then place sliced cheese over the top.
- Pop into oven for 40 seconds to melt the cheese.
- Once out of the oven, pour the sauce over the top and then sprinkle with the brown onion from the pan.