From feta pasta to baked oats, TikTok hasn’t fallen short in delivering some interesting new recipes over the past few months.
But, what’s your opinion on savoury hot cross buns? What if we took things one step further.
We’re talking about a hot cross bun… LAMB BURGER!
TikTok chef Poppy O’Toole (AKA Poppy Cooks) is behind this downright bizarre trend, which involves stuffing a hot cross bun with roast lamb, along with a mint glaze and roast potato topping.
We knew just had to try this!
Hear what happened here:
4 x Hot Cross Buns
1 x Leg of Lamb (half)
3 x cloves of garlic
50ml olive oil
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground coriander
2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves removed
2 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed
1 lamb stock cube, dissolved in 400ml boiling water
2 tbsp mint sauce
Salt and pepper
- Blend together the garlic, cinnamon, cayenne, coriander, rosemary, thyme, olive oil and salt and pepper. Preheat your oven to 170°C fan.
- Pierce some holes into your lamb (which should be at room temperature) so you can rub the marinade in.
- Place the lamb into a deep baking tray with the lamb stock, cover in foil and place in the oven for four hours. When there’s roughly an hour left on the lamb, make a start on the roasted potatoes.
- Peel and chop the potatoes into chunks and place in a saucepan of cold salted water. Boil for around 15 minutes until tender. While boiling, place a tray of oil in the oven to get hot. Once the potatoes are boiled and tender, drain them and leave them to steam dry with a tea towel covering them for about 10 minutes. Place them in the tray of hot oil and put it back in the oven for another half an hour before taking out the lamb.
- Remove lamb from the oven and turn up the heat to 210°C to get some more colour on the potatoes. Leave to cook until they’re golden and crispy. Remove foil from the lamb and fork it into long strips of tender meat.
- Toast your hot cross buns, lather the mint sauce on them and top with shredded lamb.
- Fill the buns with crispy roasted potatoes.
- Fit the bun top on and enjoy!