Blockade Australia climate activists who’ve spent the past two days protesting in Sydney’s CBD, resulting in multiple arrests, are taking a break for at least 24 hours.

Organisers posted a message on Tuesday saying there would be no protests on Wednesday.

“We have made the call for tomorrow to be a day off,” they said on the Telegram messaging platform via the BlockadeAustralia: Resist Climate Inaction channel.

“We want people to have a chance to rest, regroup and support one another as well as connect with those who share our common purpose of resisting climate destruction.”

NSW Police have arrested 21 people in the past two days and warned on Tuesday they are prepared to act against protesters who “think the law does not apply to them”.

Eleven people were arrested on Tuesday during a second day of unauthorised demonstrations when about 40 people marched from Sydney’s Hyde Park up William Street towards the inner east.


On Monday, police arrested ten people after about 50 took part in a Blockade Australia march through the CBD. They included Mali Poppy Cooper, 22, who locked herself to the steering wheel of a car blocking driver access to the Sydney Harbour Tunnel.

Acting Assistant Commissioner Paul Dunstan said the force had no issue with lawful protests but would act against people who ignored the rules.

“While these illegal activities continue to take place, police will continue to disrupt and intervene with the actions of those who create significant safety risks to themselves and those around them,” Mr Dunstan said on Tuesday.

“Our officers will not tolerate those who think the law does not apply to them.”

Police Minister Paul Toole was on Tuesday furious about the protests organised by a group he labelled “professional pests”.

NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet called the activists “bloody idiots” saying their actions did not aid their cause.


“You want to push your cause – all you’re doing is making people move away from your cause as quickly as possible.”

Protesters who disrupt major roadways, ports and railways can now be charged with newly-legislated penalties of up to two years in prison and a fine of $22,000.

A total of 32 people have been arrested since NSW Police set up Strike Force Guard in March to prevent, investigate and disrupt unauthorised protests.

Want more? Listen to this best bit from Jonesy & Amanda!