Consumers who have purchased any CORE Powerfoods frozen microwave meals are being urged to dispose or return them after three people developed Salmonella after eating the meals.
The Department for Health and Wellbeing’s Director, Food and Controlled Drugs Branch, Dr Fay Jenkins, said CORE Ingredients are recalling several of their CORE Powerfoods frozen meals.
Food Recall: Core Ingredients is recalling a range of Core Powerfoods frozen meals due to a potential microbial (Salmonella Weltevreden) contamination. More at: https://t.co/UrLngR8ILR pic.twitter.com/9fc2jdLY4N
— FoodStandardsAusNZ (@FSANZnews) October 19, 2019
“There have been 15 cases of Salmonella Weltevedreden in people who ate these products nationally and we are urging anyone with these meals in their freezers to throw them away or return them to where they bought them,” Dr Jenkins said.
“While this particular type of Salmonella is unusual, any kind of Salmonella poses serious health risks and symptoms of infection can begin anywhere between six and 72 hours after exposure and last for three to seven days.
“These symptoms include fever, diarrhoea, vomiting, headaches, stomach cramps and loss of appetite.
“More severe symptoms may occur in young children, older people, pregnant women and people who are immunocompromised and may lead to hospitalisation.
“Anyone who develops these symptoms and is concerned should see their doctor and get tested for Salmonella.
“We recommend that people dispose of any implicated products purchased or return them for a full refund.”
CORE Powerfoods are available Australia-wide in independent supermarkets, Coles, gyms and health food stores. Batches identified by this recall have a Best Before from 26/08/2020 – 4/10/2020 inclusive.
The recalled meals include 310g or 350g:
• Going Nuts
• Deep South Chilli
• Muay Thai Meatballs
• Holy Meatballs
• Naked Chicken
• Seismic Chicken
• Old School
• Smokey Mountain Meatballs
More information about this recall can be found at FSANZ and further information on Salmonella can be found at www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/foodsafety.