Police have issued an urgent warning to dog owners after poisonous baits were found in a popular park in Sydney.

Raw chicken laced with green rat poison was reportedly located in Enmore Park in Marrickville.

It’s reported that at least two dogs had reportedly eaten the baits before the incident was reported to police.

Officers from the Inner West Police Command posted a warning to their Facebook page, telling all dog owners to “please use extreme caution when walking your dogs at the location”.

Police also said that if anyone suspects that their dog has eaten on of the poisonous baits, to take them to a vet hospital immediately and “do not wait for symptoms to appear”.

While you shouldn’t wait for symptoms to appear, symptoms can include bleeding and bruising, blood in the animal’s droppings, vomiting blood, feeling lethargic, loss of appetite, bulging eyes and bleeding behind the eyes.


“Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Inner West Police on 9550 8147 or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000,” police said.

According to News.com.au, a handwritten note was also posted on the park’s fence on Tuesday October 1, warning dog owners about the baits.

“Please be aware, this park was baited with rat poison wrapped in chicken today. Police have cleared it,” the note reportedly read.

Police are investigating the incident.

Under the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 it is an offence to feed an animal a harmful or poisonous substance, or to throw or leave poisons for the purpose of killing a domestic animal.