People in NSW should delay travelling to South Australia “as a precaution”, as the state grapples with a potential second wave coronavirus outbreak, Gladys Berejiklian says.
The premier said NSW‘s borders “are completely open but if it’s not essential travel think about whether you want to go in the next few days”.
She offered the advice after the number of confirmed virus infections linked to the Parafield cluster in Adelaide northern suburbs grew to 20 on Tuesday. Another 14 potential cases are still to be cleared.
“We are confident that SA has it under control but we’re just saying to our community … if you can delay it for a few days unless you have to go there please do so,” she told reporters on Wednesday.
Meanwhile, passengers who arrived from SA on recent flights and trains are being contacted and having their temperature checked and asked if they had visited any areas of concern.
Health Minister Brad Hazzard said the advice had come from Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant who had been in contact with SA authorities.
“We have no intention at the present time of closing the border,” he told Seven’s Sunrise program.
“What we do want is people to minimise their travel. We don’t want families to be separated unnecessarily and we don’t want business to stop.”
Ms Berejiklian also said she had no indication from Queensland about whether the outbreak in SA and the NSW response would affect its border with her state.
“If I did speak to them I don’t think I’d get any sense … tonight they’re having 100 per cent capacity and no social distancing for their State of Origin match,” she said.
Despite that, Queensland authorities had refused permission for the NSW team to go to the state a few days earlier to acclimatise, she said.
“I don’t think it’s based on any science,” Ms Berejikilian said.