A deadly fungus has been found growing in Far North Queensland that can shrink a person’s brain.

It’s called the Poison Fire Coral fungus and it’s usually found in mountainous regions of Japan and Korea but it’s been discovered by fungus photographer Ray Palmer in Cairns.

It’s the only toxic mushroom where the toxins can be absorbed through the skin and if eaten can shrink someone’s brain and cause multiple organ failure.

The fungus has already proven to be deadly in Japan and Korea with several deaths from people who thought it was edible and brewed it into tea.

Scientists fear that if not contained, it could spread through the northern Queensland tropics.