More NSW city workers are set to return to the office amid the COVID-19 pandemic, with permissible public transport limits set to almost double.
The NSW government will from July 1 lift guidelines on daily capacity across the public transport network to 1.3 million – up from about 875,000.
The pre-coronavirus daily network capacity sat at around 2.2 million.
The change means more people from July can jump on trains, buses and ferries than previously deemed appropriate, but NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian nevertheless continues to encourage commuters to stagger shift times.
Buses and trains would continue to be cleaned at least thrice daily.
“This is pleasing for those people who work in places like the CBD or people who do rely on public transport,” Ms Berejiklian told reporters.
“We’re still encouraging people to travel outside the peak where possible, but now we will have extra capacity in the peak, almost doubling capacity.
“More people will be resuming their jobs in their workplace.”
More room for passengers is to be created on New South Wales public transport. From July 1 lift guidelines on daily capacity across the public transport network to 1.3 million – up from about 875,000. https://t.co/uyBufTUpLL #coronavirus #7NEWS pic.twitter.com/v4NGWQSHoY
— 7NEWS Sydney (@7NewsSydney) June 16, 2020
NSW reported three new cases of COVID-19 on Tuesday – all in travellers in hotel quarantine – from almost 7900 tests.
Ms Berejiklian this week credited the hotel quarantine system for returned travellers with keeping the community safe during the pandemic.
She said infection rates in returned overseas travellers have been high, with up to four per cent testing positive to COVID-19.
The premier also flagged she was open to using the hotel quarantine system to get international students back into NSW universities, but insisted there would be no shortening of the 14-day quarantine.
In the latest easing of COVID-19 restrictions in NSW, the 50-person limit on indoor venues will be scrapped from July 1.
Outdoor cultural and sporting venues with seating of up to 40,000 will also be allowed to hold 25 per cent of their capacity from July 1.
Meanwhile, NSW Health on Monday declared the COVID-19 outbreak at Newmarch House aged care home over, with a total of 37 residents and 34 staff having tested positive at the western Sydney facility, resulting in 19 residents’ deaths.