The Rich Really Did Get Richer In 2017
As you're taking stock of 2017 and likely hoping for a more prosperous New Year, spare a thought for the world's wealthiest - they've now got an extra $1 trillion weighing them down.
That's right, in 2017 the world's wealthiest people became $US1 trillion richer.
Amazon boss Jeff Bezos knocked Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates out of first place, with a personal worth of $100 billion.
The top five wealthiest Australians are worth a combined $US40 billion.
TOP FIVE RICHEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD
1. Jeff Bezos at $US100 billion
2. Bill Gates at $US91.6 billion
3. Warren Buffet at $US85.5 billion
4. Amancio Ortega at $US75.7 billion
5. Mark Zuckerberg at $73.2 billion
AUSTRALIA'S FIVE RICHEST PEOPLE
1. Gina Rinehart (ranked 85th in the world) at $14.9 billion
2. Harry Triguboff (213th) at $US7.52 billion
3. Ivan Glasenberg (256th) at $US6.42 billion
4. Anthony Pratt (316th) at $US5.75 billion
5. Frank Lowy (346th) at $US5.44 billion
Source: Bloomberg Billionaires Index