Sydneysiders Warned To Take Care As Smoke Covers The City
As Sydney is blanketed by a giant smoke haze we're being warned to take care by NSW Health.
The government department has issued the following warning as we deal with high levels of smoke due to the fires at Holsworthy Range and Barden Ridge combined with backburning operations affecting the south west as well as Sydney region and the Blue Mountains.
“If you have asthma or a lung condition, reduce outdoor activities if smoke levels are high and if shortness of breath or coughing develops, take your reliever medicine or seek medical advice."
“Asthma sufferers need to follow their Asthma Action Plan and take their relieving medication where necessary. If symptoms get worse, seek medical advice."
Children, older adults and people with heart and lung conditions are most susceptible to the effects of air pollution and excessive smoke.
The fire burning at Holsworthy Range and Barden Ridge is now contained but fire crews are still on the scene to monitor and consolidate containment lines around the fire.
TIPS TO STAY SAFE DURING SMOKEY CONDITIONS
* Keep doors and windows closed to prevent smoke from entering your home.
* Remove washing from clotheslines.
* Ensure pets have a protected area.
* If you’re driving through a smoky area, slow down, keep your windows up and turn your headlights on.
* Don’t call triple-0 just to report that it’s smoky.