Sydney Trains To Look At Timetables After Blaming Sick Staff
The head of Sydney trains says the new timetable will be reviewed, a day after the network went into meltdown and thousands of frustrated passengers were left stranded on platforms across the city.
Commuters were again being warned of '"delays" on Wednesday morning after two days of chaos on the network.
TRAIN MELTDOWN: Major delays and cancellations plague Sydney train network for second day, as commuters say they'd rather "battle in the Hunger Games" than last night's peak hour chaos. READ MORE: https://t.co/fzqlwsPxqc #TenNews pic.twitter.com/bLe1KggCLd— TEN Eyewitness News (@channeltennews) January 9, 2018
Sydney Trains CEO Howard Collins blamed lightning strikes and driver sickness for Tuesday's chaos.
He apologised to commuters for Tuesday's delays.
"It all kicked off with some pretty significant weather issues, lightning strikes taking out signalling at various locations. We had a blip of genuine sickness yesterday. It is back to normal today," he told Seven Network.
Transport NSW tweeted on Wednesday morning: "MAJOR DELAYS ACROSS THE NETWORK due to staff availability & earlier incidents. Trains running at reduced frequency. Buses supplement some services. Listen to station announcements for the latest."
But Mr Collins says the system is running "98 per cent to schedule".
For people outraged over the Sydney train delays, take a peek at this thread here with one explanation on how and why it's happening— Josh Butler (@JoshButler) January 9, 2018
existing staff shortages + unpopular new timetables + weather = chaos https://t.co/oyPHdxxJcC
The Rail, Tram and Bus Union says the new train timetable, introduced at the end of November, is responsible for the delays.
"Management is scrambling to come up with daily excuses for the mess, but the reality is it's all to do with a poorly put together timetable," NSW Secretary Alex Claassens said in a statement on Tuesday.
Mr Collins said a review of the new timetable will be carried out but ruled out bringing back the previous timetable.
"We are going to do a review of the timetable - and will sit down with the unions," he told the Nine Network on Wednesday.
More train drivers are also being recruited, he said.
"Yes, we had delays over the last two days, we are working through those.
What we need to do now is sit down and focus on how we can improve this and certainly that is what we will be doing over the next few days, weeks and months," he said.
In minute now we’ll hear Trumble, Dutton & Co blasting the incompetent NSW government for Sydney’s transport crisis. No ? https://t.co/nujiWPUamI— Mike Carlton (@MikeCarlton01) January 9, 2018
NSW Opposition leader Foley labelled the situation as "shambolic", saying he had been caught up in the chaos at Town Hall station on Tuesday night.
"Frankly it was a danger to public safety," he told Network Seven on Wednesday.
Mr Foley said the Berejiklian government needed to fix the transport chaos before spending $2.5 billion rebuilding two stadiums.
"This is the first week of the working year for many people. The premier needs to face up to the fact she's got it wrong. Her priorities are wrong," he said in a statement.
The state's transport minister Andrew Constance has returned to Sydney from his south coast electorate and is expected to address media later on Wednesday, his spokeswoman told AAP.