Sorry But No Refund For Sydney Trains Chaos Says Premier
The NSW Premier has apologised to passengers caught up in the Sydney Trains chaos - a week after thousands of commuters were left stranded - but shut down any talk of refunds or free travel days.
Today almost 40 train services were cancelled, after last week's meltdown was blamed on storms, trackwork, a spike in sick leave and "excess" annual leave approvals.
"With the benefit of hindsight we should have taken proactive action and reduced the number of services that day (Tuesday) and let customers know, so that those delays weren't experienced," Premier Gladys Berejiklian told reporters.
"I want to wholeheartedly apologise to all of our customers. The system most days is world class and some days, unfortunately, we let commuters down."
But the Premier insisted there would be no refunds to commuters caught up in the chaos because there was no "precedent" for that.
Rail workers on Friday voted in favour of industrial action as part of their campaign for a six per cent pay rise, but a strike is yet to be confirmed.
If drivers refuse to work unplanned or rostered overtime the result could cause even more chaos.