Royal National Park Fire May Have Been Deliberately Lit
The Royal National Park in Sydney's south will remain closed as firefighters continue to battle a blaze believed to have been deliberately lit.
The fire, which started on Saturday, has destroyed more than 1800 hectares of land and is being treated as suspicious with investigations under way, a NSW Police spokeswoman said.
Crews take a breather at Garie Beach after working through the night on the fire in the Royal National Park, south of Sydney. Great effort by all agencies working together. Pic: @SutherlandRFS #NSWRFS pic.twitter.com/RTNnm8zxAr— NSW RFS (@NSWRFS) January 20, 2018
Hundreds of hikers and tourists had to be rescued by boat as the blaze spread on Saturday but firefighters, with the help of a large air tanker, worked throughout Sunday to contain the fire.
Firefighters took advantage of easing conditions overnight to strengthen containment lines ahead of worsening conditions on Monday, the NSW Rural Fire Service said.
In the Southern Tablelands, a bushfire has burnt more than 1600 hectares at Bannaby, with firefighters working overnight to establish and strengthen containment lines.
The fire had increased in activity earlier on Sunday but conditions eased into the evening, allowing firefighters to downgrade the blaze.
A reminder the Royal National Park is closed due to fire activity with access only for residents. Crews have worked through the night to contain the fire which has burnt 600+ hectares. This is the view from #cronulla this morning. #NSWRFS #nswfires pic.twitter.com/kEQCv7FRbp— NSW RFS (@NSWRFS) January 20, 2018
Fireys are also paying close attention to a large bushfire at Dandry in the state's north that has burnt through more than 51,000 hectares.
The blaze, which is burning in the Pilliga Forest between Coonabarabran and Narrabri and to the east of Baradine, was downgraded on Sunday evening to advice level.
Total fire bans have been declared for the Southern Ranges, Central Ranges, Greater Hunter and Greater Sydney on Monday.