WSFM 101.7
Pure Gold

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

More Charges Laid Over 1970s Sydney Bank Robberies

A man will re-appear in court today after an additional charge was laid by detectives investigating a series of alleged historical robberies at banking institutions across Sydney 40 years ago.

The State Crime Command’s Robbery and Serious Crime Squad commenced a renewed investigation, under Strike Force Pats, into a series of robberies at banking institutions across Sydney’s CBD and Lower North Shore in the 1970s.

Following extensive inquiries, a 69-year-old man was arrested by investigators at Edgecliff on Thursday 20 December 2018.

He allegedly admitted to police he slid notes to bank tellers indicating he had a gun and wanted cash at branches across the CBD and Chatswood, between June 3, 1977, and March 9, 1978.

“He says, at the time he committed these offences he was a full blown alcoholic,” his solicitor Mark Klees told the court.

“Most of the offences occurred after lunch, after he had been consuming significant amounts of alcohol.”

Court documents showed each of the alleged robberies yielded $2000 or less, with a total sum of $8893.

He remains before the courts.

Following further inquiries, strike force investigators laid an additional charge of robbery against the man.

Police will allege in court the man robbed another bank on the corner of George and Liverpool streets, Sydney, on 12 May 1977.

The Edgecliff man is currently on strict conditional bail and due to re-appear at Central Local Court today (Tuesday 7 May 2019).

Investigations under Strike Force Pats continue.

AAP/Daily Telegraph

Share this: