Mark Webber Just Made A Shock Announcement About His Future
Mark Webber has announced he'll retire from professional racing at the end of the world endurance season in Bahrain next month.
The 40-year-old Canberran competed in over 200 F1 grands prix, winning nine and finishing third in the drivers' championship on three occasions with Red Bull.
The Australian won the World Endurance title with Porsche last year with Germany's Timo Bernhard and New Zealander Brendon Hartley but said the time is right to hang up his helmet.
The six-hour race in Dubai on November 19 will be the last time Webber competes as a works driver and he'll take up a role as a Porsche special representative at global events and work as a consultant on motorsport programs.
"I will miss the sheer speed, downforce and competition, but I want to leave on a high and I'm very much looking forward to my new tasks," he said.
Webber competed in 215 Formula One races for Minardi, Jaguar, Williams and Red Bull before leaving in 2013.
"It was a big change from Formula One to LMP1 (Le Mans Prototype) and an entirely new experience. But it came at the right time for me," said Webber.
"It will be strange getting into the race car for the very last time in Bahrain but for now I will thoroughly enjoy every moment of the remaining races."
AROUND THE WEB: Creepy clown armed with a knife caught on security cameras 'trying to break into man's house'