WSFM 101.7
Pure Gold

Now Playing:

Listen on

How An Aussie Mum Ended Up In A Bali Jail For Murder

It began with the search for a missing purse with $A300 inside, Australian woman Sara Connor says.

When her boyfriend David Taylor then confronted a man on the beach about the wallet, a scuffle broke out, his lawyers say.

The British man hit the stranger with a beer bottle, a handphone and binoculars.

Moments later the man was limp.

"Our client feels sorry for that incident. He (Mr Taylor) admitted it," Mr Taylor's lawyer Haposan Sihombing said late on Monday night.

At 3.30am on Wednesday, Wayan Sudarsa's body was discovered covered in sand. Police say he had 42 wounds to his body. A broken beer bottle lay smashed next to him.

Two days later, after police put out an alert searching for Ms Connor and Mr Taylor's whereabouts, his lawyers said they burnt their clothes.

" (They) found a stain of blood, they tried to get rid of them by burning their clothes," Yan Erick Parulian Sihombing said.

After more than nine hours of interrogation at Denpasar Police Station on Monday, Ms Connor's legal team emerged after 10pm local time (12am AEST) and explained to waiting reporters what their client said occurred that fatal night almost one week ago.


Ms Connor and Mr Taylor, they said, had been down at Kuta beach late Tuesday night and were "kissing" when she realised she lost her purse with around three million rupiah (A$300) inside.

Mr Taylor approached Mr Sudarsa asking him what he knew about the purse. Her lawyer Erwin Siregar said she saw Mr Taylor throw a punch but isn't sure how many.

She went closer to find Mr Taylor sitting on the man's back, her lawyer Robert Khuana said.

"Sara tried to separate them by lifting her left leg and pressing it against the victim's left shoulder. That's why she's bitten in her right (hand). When he (the victim) turned, her left thigh got bitten."

Mr Taylor allegedly told her to search his wallet as it was possible the man "was not a real cop," Mr Khuana said.

Ms Connor went in search of her purse again before finding Mr Taylor standing at the side of the road.

He allegedly told her the man had "passed out" and would wake up soon.

She approached a motorbike taxi - known as an 'ojek' - to take them to the police to report the missing bag and what occurred at the beach but the driver refused, her legal team said.

Ms Connor and Mr Taylor returned to their hotel room, had a shower and slept, waking up at 7.30am on Wednesday.

Later, when the couple were in Jimbaran, near Kuta, Ms Connor received a call from the Australian consulate telling her "there was a problem in Bali", Mr Taylor's lawyer said.

His legal team say they burnt the clothes before going to the consulate in Denpasar where they were arrested on Friday afternoon.

They have been in custody since.


Share this: