WSFM 101.7
Pure Gold

Now Playing:

Listen on

Two Boys Die After Car Crashes Into Western Sydney School

Two children are confirmed to have died in a horrific crash earlier this morning which saw a four-wheel drive plough into the side of a primary school in Greenacre.

The two boys, both eight years old, were critically injured in the incident and were rushed to Westmead Children's Hospital for treatment.

Tragically, both boys died.

A nine-year-old girl is at the same hospital in a serious condition while two of her classmates, eight-year-old girls, are believed to be in a stable condition and are also receiving treatment for their injuries.

According to NSW Police, there were 24 children in the classroom at Banksia Road Public School when a Toyota Kluger left the road and crashed into the side of the building.

Paramedics arrived to "a scene of carnage" with "distressed and overwhelmed children and teachers", NSW Ambulance superintendent Stephanie Radnidge told reporters.

It was "pandemonium", Ms Radnidge said.

There were 24 children in the classroom when the crash happened.

Seventeen children and a female teacher were assessed on the grounds by paramedics.

Year four student Mariam Issmail was in a nearby classroom when the car smashed into the school.

"We were just doing work and all of a sudden we heard this big bang," she told AAP.

Mariam says multiple schoolmates were injured, adding that twin girls were among those hurt.

"(Students) were screaming, saying they wanted their mum, I want help," she said.

Mariam's mother Khadige Issmail was at Bankstown when she heard the news.

"Everything went blank," she said.

"Obviously, this is a very, very tragic event," NSW Police Acting Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith told reporters.

The driver, who did not require medical treatment, was taken to hospital for mandatory blood and urine tests.

The car was on the school grounds when the incident happened but police don't believe it was intentional.

"We're not looking at this as an intentional act. It is a crash investigation," Mr Smith said.

Two chaplains were brought in to the school to support the victims.

"They were crying, they were distressed, some were asking for their parents," Ms Radnidge said.

Ms Radnidge said the deceased boys had suffered multiple traumas and were unconscious when they were rushed to hospital.

"It is very, very hard because we are parents ourselves, we are human beings," she added.

Share this: