Woman Who Lost Her Eye Sight Warns Others About This Risk
A young British woman is warning other after a night out partying while on holidays in Greece caused her to end up blind and with ravaged kidneys.
Hannah Powell unwittingly drank dodgy alcohol while having eight vodka and orange cocktails on an organised bar crawl with friends, which led her to be fighting for her life in hospital thirty six hours later.
According to news.com.au, the “vodka” had been laced with the deadly chemical methanol, which has destroyed her eyesight and left her on dialysis. The young woman is now registered as blind.
She is now warning other travellers, in a harrowing interview.
“Don’t end up like me.” She said as she spoke exclusively to the Sun on Sunday.
Hannah said: “I thought it was going to be the best holiday with my friends. I had no idea I’d drunk anything dodgy.
“But one day my friends woke me up and it was pitch black. I asked them to open the curtains but they said they were already open and the sun was streaming in.
“I just fell to my knees. I was blind. It was devastating.”
Today Hannah tells how her “nightmare” break to the Greek island of Zante last summer has robbed her of her independence and left her scared to go out.
If it were not for her mother Christine, 52 — who fortunately is a match for a kidney transplant — she would be spending the rest of her life hooked up to dialysis machines.
“My mum is my hero. Her transplant might be the lifeline I need for getting some kind of life back,” Hannah said.
Greek police believe criminal gangs based in Albania and Bulgaria supplied the vodka laced with methanol — a highly toxic form of alcohol used to make antifreeze.
Hannah’s two friends got off lightly.
Lauren Sheerin, 22, was violently sick around the time Hannah fell ill.
Lauren Connors, 21, needed a week off work suffering from severe stomach cramps after she returned home to Teesside.
Hannah’s story is a stark warning to the many travellers who flock to Europe’s party resorts each year.