WSFM 101.7
Pure Gold

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Teenager Dies After Drinking Too Much Caffeine

It's been reported that a high school student aged just 16 died last month after consuming an excessive amount of caffeine

A South Carolina coroner said that Davis Allen Cripe died on April 26 after drinking a large amount of Mountain Dew, along with a coffee, and an energy drink in a two-hour period.

Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said Cripe suffered a cardiac arrhythmia brought on by the stimulant and no undiagnosed heart conditions were found during an autopsy.

Watts said "you can have five people line up and all of them do the exact same thing with him that day, drink more, and it may not have any type of effect on them at all."

Watts said Cripe "was totally against drugs, he was totally against alcohol." and photos he posted online before his death show the teenager with crosses marked on his hands, a sign of the drug-free straight edge movement.

undefinedundefined

The young boy's parents also attended the news conference with Cripe's father Sean saying:

“I stand before you as a brokenhearted father and hope that something good can come from this.

"Parents, please, talk to your kids about the dangers of these energy drinks."

Pedestrian

Share this: