Good Times and Great Classic Hits! WSFM101.7. All the latest from Jonesy & Amanda in the morning and the drive home with Rob Duckworth.
Friday, March 08, 2013 12:26 PM
The original lead actors of Star Wars have signed up to return in Disney's Star Wars: Episode VII, series creator George Lucas has revealed.
Lucas, who sold the film franchise to bosses at Disney last year, admits he had talks with Carrie Fisher and her co-stars Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill about their involvement in a seventh film before he sold the rights.
"We had already signed Mark, Carrie and Harrison - or we were pretty much in the final stages of negotiation. So I called them to say, 'Look, this is what's going on'," Lucas told Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
"Maybe I'm not supposed to say that," he continued. "I think they want to announce that with some big whoop-de-do, but we were negotiating with them."
Meanwhile, a representative for Fisher says the 56-year-old star was "joking" about her involvement in the upcoming project to reprise her role as Princess Leia.
When asked this week by Palm Beach Illustrated magazine if she's going to reprise her role, the actress and author simply said, "Yes".
When asked what she thinks her updated Leia will look like in the new film, she joked: "Elderly. She's in an intergalactic old folks' home. I just think she would be just like she was before, only slower and less inclined to be up for the big battle."
However, Fisher's spokesperson told CNN.com, "She was joking. Nothing has been announced."
Star Wars: Episode VII will be the seventh in the series that began with
original Star Wars in 1977. Director JJ Abrams has been announced as the
director of the new film, which is due to hit screens in 2015.
Take a look back at the stars then and now...